Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Potty Training Day 1

This will be my potty diary for the day. I will keep updating throughout the day, so keep checking back if you care to see the drama unfold. :)

6:45 am - I hear Oliver hanging out in his room. Got him to sit on the potty with much protest but got nothing since he's already emptied into the diaper. Who knows how long he'd been up before I heard him so he could have woken up dry but decided to go...I did give him gummy snacks since he did sit for me.


7:56 am We have pee on the carpet. First pair of underwear have been taken out of the game. We have 9 more pairs for the day... I took him into the bathroom at 7:55 (right before Micky Mouse Clubhouse) but he refused to take off the underwear and sit on the potty because he wanted Micky...He did ask for his diaper in the bathroom before I gave up. ***For next time: take the diaper cue as him needing to pee???


8:30 am 5 minutes before my potty alarm was to go off, Oliver said "uh oh"! It was a tiny bit of pee...but we went and sat on the potty for about 5 minutes...nothing came out. I set my alarm for 45 minutes...


8:38 am As I was typing the previous entry, he peed...all over the carpet. ***5 minutes is not long enough to sit apparently. Another pair of undies bites the dust...I did give him a cup of milk though.This may be the result.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
RANT 8:51 am I WANT TO GIVE UP. It's been a little over 2 hours and I am so over this. Scarlett isn't even up yet. How am I going to be able to do this with her in the mix? I already feel like I'm gonna lose my patience but I don't want to because then he'll hate this process. I can't give in to his 'no's' either because he'll never get trained. All I know is my hands smell like pee and shortly my house will too. I need to keep strong though. I have to make it through the whole day before I decide to give up. 2 hours is nothing...Alright, I've regrouped. LET'S DO THIS!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

8:57 am Oliver started to get all upset after the last accident so I left him alone to regroup. He peed. Another pair of underwear gone. At least it was in the bathroom so no soggy carpet!! I wasn't there but I noticed he was being really quiet. I found him sitting on the potty, underwear still completely on. He saw me, pointed to where he'd peed and said "Mommy dirty, clean". So I did. Breathe....It is currently 9:08 and he refuses to get off the potty. I'm in the living room. I'm gonna let him to his thing...

9:12 am HE PEED IN THE POTTY! Like I said I was out in the living room, he was by himself chillin on the potty. I heard him saying, "yucky" so I went to investigate. He was sitting on the toilet (lid down) so I thought "Oh God he peed on my toilet cover!!!" Nope, he'd peed in his potty! We both took the potty, poured the pee in the toilet, Oliver flushed it and we said goodbye to the pee. Red Vine was chosen. He's standing with just a shirt on eating. I think he's scared of ruining another pair of undies....

9:25 am HE PEED IN THE POTTY! I've left the door open and the light on in the bathroom for the day. Even though he'd just peed and finished eating his Red Vine, he yelled "Mommy pee pee!" and ran for the bathroom himself. Again, since he'd JUST gone I didn't follow him because I didn't want to sit in the darn bathroom anymore. Haha. I heard, "Mommy, did it!" And he DID! Fruit snacks chosen!

9:48 am A little over 3 hours in...I'm feeling okay. I think I'm still riding the high from the two potties and lack of carpet to clean, haha. He just finished a bowl of cereal for breakfast. There will be pee soon. This high could end very soon. Since his last pee he has been running back and forth to the bathroom sitting for about 10-20 seconds a piece. When nothing comes out he's learned to say, "Mommy Ollie try!" He still refuses to put underwear on...Just a shirt, I'll take it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
LESSON: Just because there is pee in the potty does NOT mean the bladder is empty! Have them sit a bit longer after going and if they don't want to, keep asking them if they have to go for another 15-20 minutes. They probably do!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10:40 am Almost an hour and I've asked him several times about going potty. He doesn't want to... After his cereal I'm expecting pee. I've been checking the house for secret pee stains. Nothing...

10:48 am HE PEED IN THE POTTY, TWICE! He was playing by the fireplace and all of a sudden he looks up at me with a terrified expression. I thought, "SHOOT! Pee on the carpet!" But he ran really fast for the bathroom...I got up checked where he was standing: a little pee. Before I could do anything else I hear, "I DID IT! I DID IT!" I ran to the bathroom checking for pee along the way, nothing. He had miraculously held it in all the way to the potty and indeed peed in it! My experience this morning taught me that there HAD to be more pee in this kid so I offered to read some Dr. Seuss while he kept sitting. He agreed and about 1/4 of the way through The Cat in the Hat Scarlett started screaming!!! I had just fed her....Long story short, I read the book all the way through with a baby in one arm spitting up everywhere and the book in the other. Sadly Oliver hadn't peed any more during that whole time so we flushed the pee and said bye bye. Literally 2 seconds after we flushed the pee I ran out to change Scarlett out of her gross clothes and clean my arm up. While I was doing this I hear, "I did it! I did it" Way more pee this time!

11:24 am POOP POOP POOP! He pooped all by himself IN the potty! I was on the phone with George and Oliver was being all private. He didn't even want to talk to Daddy which is very strange! I smelled fart but kids do that and I was only thinking pee not poop. I got off the phone and there was a big ol' poop! He wasn't as excited about it though. The pee has been great he was almost scared that a poop came out. He didn't want anything to do with it. Interesting...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
LESSON: Hide the diapers!! Oliver hadn't seen any all day and there was one laying around and automatically he threw a tantrum and wanted me to put it on. Way to revert!!! Ugh. I hid them all...we'll see how it goes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

12:12 pm Nap time. No diaper. I had always planned to put one on him for nap but the way he reacted when he saw one a bit ago was a bit disheartening. I put a towel down and he peed a bit in the potty before going down. Let's see what happens...

2:15 pm Woke up from nap. Crying, crying and more crying. For no reason. DID NOT pee the bed the whole 2 hours!!!!! Now I just have to deal with a half asleep toddler throwing a tantrum and hope to God he doesn't pee on me.

3:55 pm HE PEED IN THE POTTY! Whew, his tantrum finally ran out with some Shrek and apple juice. He wanted a diaper and that's why he was crying...We did NOT give in! He had some sweats on and peed just a little in them but not enough to soak through, a dribble if anything (none on the carpet!), then ran to the potty. Surprisingly he sat there for a long time before he peed. But he peed and I'm happy!!!! I honestly thought he might forget everything he learned from the morning after night time..I'm impressed.

4:44 pm HE PEED IN THE POTTY! He barely left since the last pee. He's obsessed with the darn bathroom. He keeps farting and had a little poop on his bottom. I think he knows he has to go so he's scared to leave. That's what happened with the first poop today!

4:55 pm Mommy grabbed a beer. Oliver is still holed up in the bathroom.

5:59 pm HE PEED IN THE POTTY! Oliver got distracted by George leaving with Scarlett and peed a bit in his pants. Since we're training, he's not going anywhere this weekend and he was upset about it. But I reacted pretty fast and got him on the potty!

6:07 pm Uh oh, I think he has to poop. He keeps running in and out of the bathroom and I hear farts. He's whimpering a lot. Judging how he freaked out when he pooped earlier today, he may be off put by it. Here's to hoping my kid isn't one of those that poops in a corner somewhere and plays with it. Apparently that happens....

7:45 pm Oliver took a bath, sat on the potty one last time and we put him down with NO diaper. Just those training pants. We also put a waterproof crib sheet under his sheet so the matress doesn't get ruined with "accidents"! And the day is done!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment