Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 1 Recap

If you want the full play by play of our first day potty training Oliver it is one post down. :)

Here are some thoughts from the day:

*He did a lot better than I expected
*He was very keen to when he peed his underwear and knew to stop, hold it in, and run to the potty
*We stopped giving him fluids around 5-5:30-ish. We'll see how that effects overnight pee activities.
(^after I wrote this post Oliver started yelling, he'd peed the bed before he even fell asleep!)
*Um, he pooped in the potty the first try on the first day! I have the coolest kid alive.

Overall I'm glad I introduced Ollie early to the potty (18 months). For awhile we would only sit him on it before bath time while we waited for the tub to fill up. Sometimes he would go, other times he wouldn't. No pressure.

He graduated to telling me when he wanted to go and going a few times sporadically over several months. Again no pressure, just an introduction. I feel like because of that he knew what he was doing today, it was old hat but being put to serious use.

I definitely do not want this to be some drawn out thing that lasts a year. Once I start something like this I'm not going to stop. I tend to parent that way overall...You wonder why both my kids sleep through the night and have amazing manners --> Monster Mommy. :)

Anyway...Since today went so well we will continue tomorrow and then daycare will continue on Monday and we will train until he's totally diaper less. Dana said she had one boy who was completely trained in 1 week; his brother in 2. I'll take anywhere close to that!!! But I'm being realistic. :) 



These are 2 products I recommend to all potty training parents!

-The training pants are thicker in the crotch and will catch accidental leaks better!
-The fitted crib pad is a MUST. It's water proof and I stacked a couple over Oliver's crib. I did one crib pad and a sheet, then another pad and sheet. Do as many as will fit because then when an accident happens in the middle of the night and you're exhausted, all you have to do is take off that first layer. Beneath will be a fresh sheet with a pad already under it. :) Less work for you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment