Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pee Pee in the Potty Blues

Professor Oliver Buchanan lecturing:
Consonants need vowels to make words!
DUH!
Welp, big things are happening in Oliver's life. He just started Preschool, soccer starts in a little over a week and we MAY be starting hardcore, for real potty training come this Saturday. Not the "only during the day, when I feel like it" potty training...I mean "train til he only wears underwear all the time" type potty training.

Since around the time he turned two I started noticing lighter and lighter diapers in the mornings. Finally in the last 2 weeks I really started seeing that he woke up completely dry or he had very little pee (the diaper appeared/felt dry but I could smell a bit of urine). I've consulted with Dana (daycare lady) multiple times about what the "right time" to begin training really means. She's been potty training kids for almost 20 years and she said that in her experience once her kid's brains clicked to not pee through the night/naps it was really easy to train them. (Since naturally their system was learning to hold it, no force on the child required).

This seems pretty logical to me and I don't want to "miss" the opportunity because I've read enough horror stories about a child being ready but the parent missing the cues then prolonging the process after the child is no longer "in the natural state of mind". Have I mentioned I absolutely HATE the notion of potty training. The ONE thing I have always DREADED about parenting...

Ugh...there is no "right" way to this potty training process...I'm just trying to go with it. Sooooo, if for the rest of this week he continues to wake up dry we're going for it. The last test will be Saturday. I will spend the WHOLE ENTIRE day taking him to go potty every 35-40 minutes.....UGH, yeah, NOT stoked. Haha. If he responds well I will continue into Sunday and Dana will continue during daycare...Hopefully he will take to it, I just want to get it over with!

I just keep thinking: He tells me when he needs to/or right after he poops, when he wants his diaper changed he runs and gets me one, and he has never been shy to grab my hand and tell me he wants to pee pee on the potty. Hopefully these are all positive signs!!!!!


WISH US LUCK PLEASE!!!!! I will keep updating for all my friends who haven't gone through this yet so you can see how easy or completely dreadful this is...

No comments:

Post a Comment