Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Dun Dun Dun...Updates

Alright.

Binky is completely GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot say how excited I am about this! He has only been using it as a night time comfort but I have been SO ready to have it be gone forever. I waited this long because quite frankly I needed the sleep! During my whole pregnancy with Scarlett I thought about completely taking it away but with George working graveyards and me being so exhausted, I just didn't want to sacrifice sleep and deal with screaming. Then the baby came and I just wanted to wait out the storm...

Luckily Oliver took to Scarlett really well....so a few weeks ago I cut off the tops to 2 of his binkies. He was PIST. Again, I just didn't want to deal with screaming especially since the kids share a room...No one wants to wake the baby A. Bc she sleeps through the night, why ruin that? B. No crying is better than 2 kids crying. :)

Sooooooo, I devised a little plan. A white lie really. I did this strategically so he couldn't be mad at me or George...

He of course asked for his binky Thursday night as I laid him down for bedtime. I told him he left the binky in the car (which he did bc he insisted on carrying it in his coat pocket and keeping it in the cup holder of his car seat until I picked him up from daycare) and I was going to have to grab it after I read him 50 bajillion "Cat in Hat" books.

[Side note - Oliver is obsessed with Dr. Suess, or as he calls it "Cat in Hat". We own about 5-6 books, and I have to read them all before he goes to bed...oh man]

Anyway...I kissed him night night, told him I loved him and told him I was going to the car. I went and watched TV instead. Horrible Mommy, I know.

20 minutes later I heard Oliver start to cry and yell for his binky. George tagged in. He went in (with a cut up binky in hand, the LAST one we owned], told Oliver I had fallen asleep and he found the binky. The KEY was to NOT mention the binky was broken...Oliver had to notice that by himself. Of course he did and I heard him say "binky broken, daddy fix it?" George talked him through it and said that he couldn't fix it but mommy would tomorrow. Miraculously Oliver went to sleep with NO fuss!!!!!

In the morning when I woke him up to get ready for daycare, he of course told me "Mommy, binky broken, fix it?!" I stalled and he accepted the fact that we would deal with in at night.

Fast forward to tonight. Oliver mentioned the broken binky. He asked "Mommy fix it?" "Daddy fix it?" he even said "Baby fix it?" after I told him Mommy and Daddy couldn't. TOO cute. :) Most importantly he went to sleep, NO FUSS. :) The "broken" binky is still on the shelf next to his bed. I will wait until he is ready to throw it away.

I found that the most important thing for a developing toddler is for them to feel as though they are the ones making the decisions....

No comments:

Post a Comment