Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

5 Months!

Mr. Feefs is 5 months old! And yes, he has the most ridiculous nicknames...


Felix loves the below pictured spinning toy. Super annoying, but he is mesmerized. He's getting accustomed to the high chair, although rice cereal is not going well. He's only tried it a handful of times but I don't think he's even swallowed a bite. My other two kids started eating solids at 4 months and loved them (especially my hefer, Scarlett) however they were formula fed babies. Felix is exclusively breastfed and going strong so I'm not pushing it but am wondering if there is a correlation. There is no nutritional value at this age anyway, I was just thinking he may want the supplementation since he's such a big boy! Felix seems to be just fine with the amount he's getting from my breast. I do have plans to make some of my own baby food (a first for me!) and see if he just needs to taste something less bland than rice cereal.

I must say I am enjoying nursing more than I thought I would. I think this is due in large part to Felix since he has been so good at what he does. I never have been sore or had issues with my supply. When the weather was in the high 80s and 90s I did notice that Felix wanted to nurse more often as he was thirsty from the heat so felt like I had a baby attached to me boob nonstop...Even then I felt good about it. He is going through a biting and pulling stage along with pinching my boob. OUCH. All and all I love it but do miss my sleep...

That's a whole 'nuther story. My first two slept through the night every night at 1 month of age. Perfect for a working mom who needs her sleep. They were also formula fed (and formula is digested slower and is thicker)... Felix wakes up at least twice a night to nurse so we mostly co sleep. He gets placed in his crib at the beginning of the night but once he wakes up the first time, I place him in bed and nurse laying down. I usually fall asleep during that and prefer not to get up to put him back knowing I'll need to get up again! I was never a fan of cosleeping without a cosleeper but its worked out for us thus far and I like that Felix has always been a sturdy baby. Scarlett was such a tiny little thing, I would have felt terrified that I'd roll over on top of her. Anything can happen to any child, of course, but Felix has always been giant which puts my mind at ease personally.



Felix loves his siblings. He is so fascinated by both of them running around and playing. I am very diligent in making sure all the kids are always involved with each other so when Scarlett or Ollie want to show me something cool, I make sure they also show Squishy. Now I don't even have to remind them. They usually run to him first THEN show me. Recently Scarlett was showing off her big, two footed jumps to her baby brother, and Oliver was showing off his monster sounds for Halloween. I like that they see Felix as more of an equal.

Side note: YES, we still call Felix Squishy. It fits. :)

I also do the opposite. For example if one of the kids hands Felix something I make sure I say, "Felix, tell Oliver/Scarlett thank you for getting your binky." The kids are very aware that Felix is a baby and can't do a lot of things but I don't want that to become an excuse. I don't want him to be the baby that gets away with everything. If he pulls on someones hair he says sorry (via me!) or if he sneezes he says excuse me (via me as well!). I know it sounds silly but it works for our family. The kids know he is a baby but its under the premise that they need to help teach him how to do things correctly. He gets a bit of leeway but ultimately the expectation is that Felix will be equally responsible for manners and good behavior. The kids have A LOT less resentment for Felix this way and enjoy being A PART of his development.


And here is a comparison between one month old and five months old.



Look how chunky he is. I get to kiss this EVERY  day!


No comments:

Post a Comment