Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Books, Books & Reading!

So stoked my little guy LOVES books. I'm going to have to remember to take a picture of him right after falling asleep. He has to have about 10 books in his bed because those are his favorites. After I finish reading to him before bed time and leave the room, I always hear him "reading" his books even with the lights out.
He even goes so far to "read" to Scarlett and help me point out pictures. I really, really hope I can cultivate this love into a future love of reading. It will help him go far in life. I meet too many people my age and older who can't read a simple book because they don't know what half the words mean...
From experience, I think big vocabularies come from reading books!! Context people, its like a friendly dictionary of sorts, it also requires brain power. Not enough people use that anymore...(blame the Internet, ha!)


Plus, super cool program Oliver's daycare utilizes: The public library has a "library on wheels" that drives right over to his daycare's driveway (it's a home daycare) and all the kids get on the bus (which is made to look like a library, so instead of seats it has bookshelves!) and they get to check out 1 book for a week. Then the bus comes back a week later, they return their book and get to check out another! When Dana told me about this I nearly cried! What a fabulous way to inspire little ones that books and reading are fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment