Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Felix's Stats

Mr. Felix had his 2 week appointment today. Um, how has that much time gone by??

At birth Felix weighed 9 lbs 1 oz and measured 20 in. (90th percentile/75th percentile)
At 3 days Felix weighed 8 lbs 5 oz and measured 20.5 in.
At 2 weeks Felix weighed 10 lbs 2 oz and measured 20.75 in. (95th percentile/75th percentile)



Felix's growth makes me super happy!! He's been exclusively breastfeeding and I was somewhat scared about him gaining weight.

I did not successfully nurse Oliver or Scarlett. My recovery nurse with Oliver told me I would never breastfeed after trying for about 5 minutes. I was 21, scared, just had a traumatic birth (giant episiotomy, ouch), and didn't have many friends with kids to get support from. She gave him formula at the hospital and I just felt defeated. I tried several times over the first 2 weeks to feed him but I didn't know anything about proper latches or holds, etc. We both got frustrated and formula it was.

With Scarlett I had a fabulous team of nurses helping me get the hang of nursing. I told them my story with Oliver and they wanted nothing more then for me to be successful. Unfortunately I still had a lot of mental doubt stored up from Oliver's experience. It really got to me... Scarlett also got a horrible latch shortly after birth and I had a lot of cracking a bleeding that continued for about 2 weeks. I did manage to breastfeed for a few weeks, but with intermittent formula feedings as well. I just didn't feel confident enough to know I could sustain her on my own. I did rent a pump and stopped nursing and continued feeding her pumped milk for about 3 months.

Naturally I was terrified with Felix. I had put feeding so far in the back of my mind, I didn't know what I was going to do. Of course the wonderful nurses at Highline coached me and  would not let me give up. Surprisingly Felix totally led the show. He had a strong latch from the very beginning and not once gave me any cracked nipples. He's been a nursing champ and he's obviously gaining weight!! I owe this all the Felix and Felix alone. Perhaps by just not thinking about it until birth I didn't mentally stress myself out? But I still think its all Felix. Big baby, bigger mouth, better latch? I don't know but I love him!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment